22 December 2009

Old = Bad?



It seems that anything that is not current and up to date is viewed as somehow inferior to the latest version of whatever the thing is. The consumer culture is probably responsible for this, and while being a good thing for our economy, it's a bad state of mind for the public to be in.

Cars are a fine example of this. Modern, current range cars are deemed superior to older ones simply due to their age, when in reality, there are plenty of terrible cars made today (there always have been, actually) and there are still plenty of good, old cars that far superior to some current range ones.

The same goes for clothes. I can see the attraction in fitting in with the crowd, being inconspicuous - but what if it means sticking with the current dress sense, which could make you look ridiculous? I just can't see the point in this. Stick with a fashion that you enjoy and that suits your purposes - i.e keeping you warm and keeping certain areas of you private.

I'd much rather stick to a design that I'm sure works rather than change everything I own every month in order to blend in. I'll drive a good car, regardless of its age and I'll wear clothes I like to wear, regardless of whether they are up to date or not.

Too many people just drift along with everybody else and lack the courage just to be themselves. This isn't a good thing at all. If people stuck to what they enjoyed and what they were good at, mankind may have achieved a lot more than it currently has done.

We need more pioneers, not sheep.

Certainly, in the technological spectrum, older equipment is usually inferior in its functions and practicality to newer equipment. Due to the fact that we live in the age of technology, this rule is also applied to everything. Cars, clothes, fashions - even people, to an extent.

Things used to be made to last, not to be replaced with a newer technology or newer style every month. Functionality has been replaced by style, and I can't see this changing any time soon.

This begs the question: do we still think about what we're doing and buying? I'd like to be able to say yes, but when everybody seems to automatically buy the latest thing, simply because it is new, I don't think I can.

I pride myself in the fact that my mobile phone is 4 years old, and has never been replaced since. This is for the simple reason that it still works as well as it did the day I bought it. The camera doesn't matter, because it's a phone - I have a proper camera for taking pictures.

All that matters about my phone is that it is usable for its basic function - to take and receive calls and text messages. I probably won't be replacing it any time soon, and I urge you to adopt the same attitude - after all, what happened to the common sense of replacing something when it broke?

All the shit that they're putting on phones now you simply don't need, and there is no point in paying £200 for a phone when you already have one, even if it does mean you get the latest 'app' or phone technology that you'd never actually need.

It's a waste of money.


No comments:

Post a Comment