11 November 2009

The Monarchy


For centuries the monarchy of the UK had absolute political power and its existence today is viewed by a lot of people as pointless.

I think that governments should run countries and make important decisions based upon what the public want, so I'm naturally against the idea of an undemocratic system.

However I don't think there is any need to remove the monarchy at the moment. Yes, it still has some power, like giving the final say when laws are going through the process of being passed, but it doesn't really have any real power. I think it should be stripped of its political power but there is no reason to remove the monarchy.

I see it more as a symbol of prestige for our country. All the important decisions are made rightly so by our elected government, so there is no real reason to hate the monarchy and to destroy it somehow.

Prince Charles uses the money at his disposal to fund his charity, The Prince's Trust, which has very commendable aims and is a good use of the fortune that the monarchy possesses. The Royal Family don't really get up to much anyway, so you cannot strip them of power that they do not have.

As I've said before, I don't think a wealthy group of unelected individuals should run a country but they cannot be completely destroyed, they are an important part of England and the UK's history, as well as other countries'. The monarchy is still a great symbol of power and prosperity that our country possesses, so why destroy a symbol of success?

If the monarchy was still governing this country, I'd be angry, but as they're not I don't see why some people do get angry about their existence. I say leave the monarchy as it is, it's a nice display of the wealth that this country possesses and it seems to have good intentions these days, so there is no reason to destroy a national symbol.


No comments:

Post a Comment