5 November 2009

Why am I an atheist?


I've always been a sceptic, and when it comes to religion and the concept of a 'god' I'm no different. Put simply, I believe in what I can see, touch and what seems most likely to be real.

Most of the arguments that are made do not prove that the deity people are attempting to prove the existence of is the deity that their particular faith describes. Most religions seem to have the same basic beliefs: there was a god or deity who created the world and the universe, there was a human prophet, there were some rules laid down and a holy book.

It seems that a lot of people turn to religion because they cannot possibly understand the big bang theory because the human mind is not capable of understanding the concept of 'forever'. And I can sympathise with that because no human can. It's beyond our mental capability to understand it. But that doesn't mean that everyone should immediately conjure up the idea of a deity that somehow created everything and in such a way that is beyond our understanding - simply because thinking is hard.

The big bang theory and atheism appear to be the most rational beliefs out there. Sure, nobody can understand the big bang theory, but it makes a hell of a lot more sense than a magic being creating everything in an amount of time so short that it is scientifically impossible. There is also proof that suggests that the big bang theory is correct. No proof of a god.

I suppose another reason I chose atheism is because I like to question everything. I don't like blindly believing in something and living my life the way that a few scholars wanted people to several thousand years ago. I like to be the master of my own destiny and I'll live my life however I damn well want to.

I also believe that it's nonsensical to attempt to explain a complex universe with a complex being. How is one any different to the other? The universe is so complex that we cannot understand its origins, and attempting to explain this with another complex thing that we cannot understand that is based entirely on blind self-belief in an invisible and unreachable deity makes no sense. It's just like going round in circles..

Also, the world is an unfortunate place to live for the majority of its population, and inventing the idea of an omnipresent and benevolent deity that watches over everyone and looks out for them is a comforting image. But why is it so hard to accept the brutal reality of the world that we live in? It's like putting your hands over your ears and saying 'lalalalalalala everything's great'.

So, these are a few of the reasons why I prefer atheism over blind belief. Other concepts just have too many faults for me, atheism actually makes sense. It just seems as if religions were created to attempt to explain the gaps in our knowledge and understanding that we had two thousand years ago, but we've moved on now. We know a lot more, and there is no purpose for religion any more.

However, the main reason I'm an atheist is because there is no evidence of a deity whatsoever. Every bit of 'evidence' that mankind has attempted to provide has been fabricated and produced by humans. Give me evidence of a deity, I'll be a theist. In the meantime I'm an atheist because I'm choosing to accept what is most probably reality.


3 comments:

  1. You are certainly not alone in your beliefs: in my short time here I've seen similar ideas to yours written. Of course, this is an intriguing topic: I think I'll have to write about it now :-). However, I would urge you to be careful, as there are similar degrees of blind faith apparent in those who zealously campaign for and against God's existence. Remember, God cannot be dis-proven either. Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree: although I think the world would possibly benefit from being secular, I don't want to force my beliefs on others. That's another issue I have with religions, but still, publicising views seems a good way to get them noticed without forcing them upon people, so hopefully I can have some influence.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm interesting. I must say that I am a believer, but I still enjoy a well written arguement about other ideas. LOL while I don't agree with the content... it was still a good read!

    ReplyDelete